Through my eyes

It's not always the way it seems...

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The little thing I call a hobby

Since I have always wanted to play guitar I started taking lessons about 2 years ago. Unfortunately I had to stop taking lessons after a year. My day for lessons was on a Friday right after work which was fine by me but bringing my guitar to work got to be difficult. I currently work in 2 buildings so that requires me to travel during the day. One building I am in from 9:00a.m. to 12:00p.m. then I drive across the street to another building and I am there from 1:30p.m. to 5:15p.m. I would have to lug my guitar out of my apartment put it in the car, drive to work take it out of the car, bring it in to work for the morning, then at noon bring it back out to the car drive to the other building, take it out of the car again carry it for the long walk to my second location, then at 5:15 take it back out to the car, drive to my lessons in Grayslake, take it out of the car for my lessons, then back in the car after my lesson, then finally out of the car for the final destination home. Why didn’t I just leave it in the car you ask? To begin guitars are delicate instruments. I happen to have an acoustic and the temperature outside could really put strain on the wood and damage it. Just imagine the morning being cold and then the sun comes out warming up the car even though it’s still cold outside. Drastic change in temperature is not good. I have a point to this I swear I am done complaining. Since I am not taking lessons anymore doesn’t mean I have stopped playing. I practice at least 2 times a week and even have a couple little ditties floating around in my head. Jesse came over last night and I was in the middle of practicing so he gave me some good advice. He told me I should record what I had made up and then showed me the scale for what I was playing. He explained that is how the singing comes in by finding the scale for the cords. So I got to thinking and I realized I have known that for years. Remember in Sound of Music that song, Do, Rei, Me? Well that whole song is about how to start singing using the scale of Do, Rei, Me. I have been blind all these years. If I had known 2 years ago that is how it works I probably would be singing in a pub somewhere by now. I don’t want to be famous this is merely a hobby and a way to make my poetry more fun.

1 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home